Moore Hotel & Boarding House | Alachua County, FL | c. 1890s
As early as 1840, a small community had begun to form around a grist mill. Settlers came from the North, railroad tracks were laid and by 1881, a new town was incorporated.
The following year, W.S. Moore purchased this building and opened a hotel which catered to wealthy Northern hunters and fishermen who were attracted to the plentiful game found in the area. Moore provided dogs, wagons, supplies and guided groups through hunts himself. His wife Virginia ‘Jenny’ ran the day to day operations of the hotel and prepared food for guests. Moore’s Hotel offered the first bathtubs with running water pumped by a windmill, then heated.
An ad for the hotel calls it ‘The Sportsman’s Home’ and rooms were just $2/day.
The property is still owned by the Moore family.