Furman Methodist Church | Wilcox County Alabama | C. 1882
The first Furman Methodist Church was built here on this site in 1857 and was replaced with the current structure in 1882. It has six box columns and an octagonal bell tower topped by a lightning rod. This church, and the town of Furman where it sits, are on the National Register of Historic of Historic Places.
Furman Methodist Church features a front gabled portico with six simple Greek Revival influenced piers, and two entrances with transoms and “peaked” Greek Revival door surrounds.
1882, one-story frame front gabled weatherboarded church building with residual Greek Revival influences, integral recessed pedimented porch on piers resting on wood plank porch floor, porch railings with plain balusters, front porch piers have cornice molding “capitals,” octagonal steeple belltower with fixed louvered vents and what is probably a historic lightning rod for a finial, asphalt shingled roof, stuccoed brick pier foundation, six over six sash windows on side elevations with wooden louvered shutters, rear rectangular apse with six over six sash side windows and hipped roof, front porch steps appear to be cast concrete, two front doors with three-light transoms and “peaked” Greek Revival door surrounds.