Bayou Pierre Presbyterian Church | Claiborne County, MS
In 1801-02, the Mississippi Territory’s first road, the Natchez Trace opened, connecting the river town of Natchez with Bayou Pierre, 30 miles to the north. During this time period and the years leading up to, early settlers floated the Tennessee, Ohio, and Mississippi Rivers to get to the new territory because there were no roads except for this short section of the Natchez Trace.
Bayou Pierre was the site where many of the earliest Protestant settlers disembarked the Mississippi River. It was here in 1801 that Presbyterian missionaries Joseph Bullen and James Smylie established a preaching outpost. By 1807, they had organized the Bayou Pierre Church. A meeting house of logs was erected on this land which was deeded to the church by Joseph Bullen. It served the congregation for some 20 years.
During the Battle of Port Gibson the 20th Alabama Infantry was posted at Bayou Pierre church where they set up to secure the right flank of Confederate Brigadier General Edward D. Tracy’s Brigade.
The current building is a rough reconstruction of the original log building on this site now called Point Lookout, and located about five miles west on the Old Rodney Road.